Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Statins

3 posters

Go down

Statins Empty Statins

Post  Nick Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:22 pm

Anyone had any problems with statins at all?

If you take them do you know when you are supposed to take them?

Do you take them at that time?

What statins are people on and doses?

Cheers

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Statins Empty Re: Statins

Post  PlymouthDave Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:18 pm

I am on Simvastatin and take one 40mg tablet last thing at night.

I am very regimented and always take it at this time and have not had any adverse effects as far as I am aware.
PlymouthDave
PlymouthDave

Back to top Go down

Statins Empty Statin problems

Post  Junglegirl Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi Nick,

Crikey I seem to get around this forum, I guess I am like the bad penny!

I had lots of problems with statins, but to put that into perspective so did my mum and dad (both non-diabetics). After 2 days I began to feel ill, more sort of, not just right but I couldn't put my finger on it. I just felt off it. After about a week, my bones seemed to ache, then my moods change and I just couldn't be bothered with anything, everything was just hard work and I seemed to be more tired all the time.

I did mention these concerns to the GP, who told me it was just a settling in period and better these symptoms than having a heart attack or stroke. After about a month I noticed I kept forgetting things, small things like people's names, or what I was just reaching for. At this stage I went online and researched the statin I was on, I immediately stopped taking them that day and made an appointment at the doctors. Thankfully my GP changed my medication to something else - non-statin based, and I've taken that every since, but only a 10mg tablet once a day.

I have always used the yellow card reporting facility, as this is what doctors use, and the adverse effects of drugs, as reported by actual patients can be accessed on there - its always worth a look if you think you're having problems.

Junglegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:24 am

Personally I hate statins and very nearly did my degree dissertation on them but then I only had around 10,000 words to write and I am sure I could do a whole lot more than that on them!

I have tried Simvastatin, and Atorvastatin. Both of them gave me mood swings (and not of the nice kind); day sweats, muscle pains (particularly leg muscles), memory loss (not good when you're at University and trying to learn) and various others.

I have now switched to Ezetimibe (about 2 years now) and don't have any problems with them at all. They work in a slightly different way to statins and don't have the same anti stroke cover that statins are supposed to have.

Simvastatin is by far the cheapest on the market and is probably the most researched statin which is why it is given out as a first choice. However as I am sure some of you will know, look on the web and you will see some horror stories about not only simvastatin but also many of the others.

What is frightening to me is that simvastatin can be bought over the counter by anyone after a quick conversation with a pharmacist in spite of the fact that every packet comes with a leaflet stating that liver function tests should be obtained before the medicine is taken and also around 3 months after starting. Mmmm I wonder how often that happens?? Indeed I know of some people who have been on statins for ages and do not have at least yearly liver function tests included in their HbA1c checks despite their asking the nurses/doctor for them to be included!

Sometimes it is very difficult if you are poly pharmacy (i.e more than 4 drugs) to know which may be making you feel ill or 'different'. Often drugs can intereact and this interaction is not picked up by your Dr or the pharmacist. Additionally you can become less or more reactive to the same dose that you have had for years prompting a physiological response.

If in doubt talk to your Dr .... and don't be put off by 'you'll just have to live with it' statements! It's your life!!

BTW statins MUST be taken at night as this is when the LDL or bad cholesterol is produced in the body
If they are taken at any other time they won't work properly as they do not stay in the body long enough to work at the appropriate time.

Best wishes
Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Statins Empty Statins

Post  Junglegirl Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Nick,

Thank you, I hate the things too, have loads of friends/family who all have problems and are just too scared to say no to their doctors.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I didn't know what I was talking about when I said I was having problems. Sadly, to this day, I still have problems recalling/remembering some words - its just like searching through mud.

Junglegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:35 pm

Junglegirl wrote:Nick,

Thank you, I hate the things too, have loads of friends/family who all have problems and are just too scared to say no to their doctors.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I didn't know what I was talking about when I said I was having problems. Sadly, to this day, I still have problems recalling/remembering some words - its just like searching through mud.

Mmm I know that feeling only too well. Trouble is some doctors still think that they are the 'Gatekeepers' and cannot move on in the real world of taking charge of your own health and life. If any doctor told me that I didn't know what I was talking about I would ahve a very short sharp conversation with them and then change my GP.

There is oo much evidence out there showing side effects of these things for GP's to ignore you. If you don't like them and they cause you problems ask for a change of statin or something similar. It's your life not theirs.

I appear to have just been accepted as a diabetic patient advocate and hopefully going to the first meeting in December ... looking at different types of research that could be done. On a questionnaire they specifically mentioned Health Professional/Patient interaction and also psychological effect of diabetes on the patient. I'll do whatever I can to improve both of these aspects.

Take care
Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down