Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rob from Lincs

2 posters

Go down

Rob from Lincs Empty Rob from Lincs

Post  Rob65 Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:16 am

Hello.
My name's Rob. I'm 43, and have been on insulin for about 30 years. At present, I have no complications, but have had a few warning shots over the last few years. My wife does her best to feed me healthily and I get a fair amount of exercise, though this hasn't always been the case.
Looking back, I probably spent the first 20 years in denial and then, with the help of more modern insulins, decided to get off my backside and do things I'd always thought I couldn't.
I've never smoked, I've never drunk more than a little, but I do indulge in cakes and biscuits (in moderation) which probably don't help my blood sugars one iota Rolling Eyes

I test blood sugar when I think I should, usually when I 'feel' high or low, instead of the 4 or 5 times a day I'm supposed to.

I'm about the right weight and my blood sugar is generally higher rather than lower which could contribute to the weight loss, thoguh I've never tested positive for ketones.

I inject 4 times a day using Humalog and Lantus which give a good degree of flexibility.

Rob

Rob65

Back to top Go down

Rob from Lincs Empty Re: Rob from Lincs

Post  Imogen Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi Rob
Welcome to the forum. I think life is a balance also, but I admit to being of the "more is more" type of person. My son was eating Coco Pops this morning and because I couldn't join him, I wanted them even more (I had two shredded wheat and an apple!).
I have a very supportive husband and my son is great ("Mum can I have an ice cream, but you can't" with a big grin on his face!).

What sort of exercise do you do? My main one is walking the dogs (at least 40 mins fast walk per day) - is this OK or should I branch out?

Imogen
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob65 Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:49 pm

From experience, the more exercise you can do, without straining anything, the better. My balance is a lot better when I have a run of steady exercise than when I have a busy day followed by a lazy day.

I'm renovating our bungalow (have been for 2 years) so it's very erratic most of the time. I'm trying to walk more but motivation is always the problem. Rolling Eyes

I would say that 40 minutes walking is fine, and if you can fit more in, go for it. I have, in the past, taken up rock climbing, which I loved, but we moved to Lincolnshire (a bit flat!) and I injured my shoulder, so that stopped that. I also played badminton for a while. I think aerobic is better than 'grunty' type exercise. Muscle building doesn't really help, but cardio-vascular is all good.
And, of course, if you're burning the carbs and calories, you can reward yourself with a little treat, but don't overdo either !
Smile

Rob

Rob65

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum