Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi everyone, howz life going ?

3 posters

Go down

Hi everyone, howz life going ? Empty Hi everyone, howz life going ?

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi there, Well I was given this link by Nick who I know well from many diabetic lay meetings and some research work.
I'm Taz... Very Happy lol. aka just like the tazmanian devi. I have been a type 1 diabetic for approx 32 yrs, now approaching the big 40 very soon!.lol A few yrs ago I was put into the Insulin pump which was a life line to me. It was a brilliant lil system and the blood sugars were very well controlled. Rolling Eyes I have had many of the complications linked to long term(some yrs with poor controll)diabetes Crying or Very sad . I am a very open person and enjoy a good chat.. Back to 2001 I developed end stage renal failure, this was all linked to poor control when I had a pub n' restaurant business.. needless to say I was the head chef What a Face and also worked alot behind the bar. Meals did not really exist for me but drinking Exclamation seemed a big factor then. I ended up very poorly through a combination of skipping meals, poor control and drinking a tad too much.. In April 2007 I was very fortunate when I recieved a live kidney transplant from my mum.. bless her. From having a horrid yellowy/green complexion (end stage renal failure) the results were instant.. I managed to regain control of my life and the diabetes. In Feb 2008 I decided to go on the waiting list for a pancreas transplant (I was told this was alot heavier going than the kidney What a Face ) In June 2009 I recieved the call and as patient number two for the organ I took this very lightly... I travelled to Oxford and to my surprise I was offered the transplant. For about 4 months I was insulin free...Wow Very Happy ! life changing but also very strange as I kept reaching for my Insulin pump.
In late October I contacted a virus which obviously did not help either organ.... I recovered from this and was still insulin free. At the beginning of 2010, the same virus attacked my body again(this was a virus which was carried from the transplanted pancreas organ) This time round I was not so lucky, I suffered with anxiety, depression and felt rough. On the 24th March 2010(my b'day) I was put back onto insulin and then some other drug injections to aid the organ. Things are going well now but have been told that I have had long term damage to the pancreas transplant. Life carries on though.. I am very well controlled now with the help of this drug. Eventually I will need another pancreas - some ppl think I'm crazy going for such an op. but hey I will want one again especially feeling that total freedom for the first time ! Smile Anybody wanting to share transplant experiences please send me a messge! Taz

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone, howz life going ? Empty Re: Hi everyone, howz life going ?

Post  Nick Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 am

Hello mate,

Good to see you on here and thanks for posting. Nice new name Wink

I sent the link to Science Daily to Martin and he says he may well put a link on the DRN website.

Take care
Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 am

BTW you didn't mention that you 'have a very sexy voice' on the radio !!

Smile

Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  beaniequeenie Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Taz,
Welcome! Thank you for your post on all the things you have been through. I'm on an insulin pump too, but I seem to be going no where fast, in terms of control. I've only been diagnosed T1 for just under 4 years, so I just spend most of my time complaining. Wink
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi Taz cheers

I don't have Diabetes.......I'm just here to annoy everyone bounce
Clare
Clare
Admin

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone, howz life going ? Empty Taz Only me !

Post  Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Hey guys, Its good to see that some members are active on here... Ok perhaps I have been through the mill a lil bit.. but believe me its never held me back... I am more determined than every now..... I truely believe that diabetic patients should get a great service through the NHS, unfortunately for some ppl this lacks in certain areas. I have found that by asking those awkward questions and demanding the lastest medical treatments. I often get a result. - If beaniequeenie or anyone esle wd like a discussion on type 1 diabetes then plz feel free to message me.. Smile After 30 yrs.. I have alot of info to share.. Very Happy I can't remember(must be my age eh!) but I have also experienced the horrors of being blind... another story perhaps.. but basically went on safari in Mad Africa and accidentally the hotel froze all my insulin supplies Suspect .. Luckily I live to tell the tale ... and have full vision again after some intensive eye surgery. cyclops

God I cd have fun wiv these emoticons lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Hell you forgot to tell me that one about yr insulin !

Although serves you right for going there Smile

Where were you?

Hope the new job goes well !

And whats more I hope this jiggs in yr email inbox!

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone, howz life going ? Empty Hi everyone, howz life going ?

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:03 pm

Hey Nick
I'm a source of information...lol just picture it.. on hols in a 3rd world Country... Kenya. Flew from Mombasa to the Masai Mara... and whilst touring at 5am I ended up at the back end of the jeep... feeling a tad unwel :pig:sick..only cos the insulin had been frozen the previous evening. l . The funny thing at the time was a herd of elephants only 30 foot away..unfortureately I was pre-occupied. After having a load of bleeds to both eyes I was esorted by galfriend for the remainder of the trip.Luckily for us the holiday was cut short and i was flown back to the U.K within 48hrs. On that occasion it took 6 months for my sight to be restored. Having had major eye problems prior to this safari experience in total I've had about 15,000 zaps of laser to each eye.. and hey I'm still able to drive.. Razz although having a 3yr check up as always been a pain .. why don't the government pick on other ppl who should require a screening eh ? Rant over Rolling Eyes lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Good grief !

I remember you telling me that you had gone blind but not the details. Was the girlfriend impressed?? Smile

Rant as much as you like mate...there are a few of us on here who do !

Did you make a decision on the OU thingy as I see that they have just put it out to everyone?
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  beaniequeenie Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Argh! Eye zaps are what scare me the most! Shocked
You really are a brave one! Very Happy
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down