Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diabetes costs "Out of Control" BBC.

2 posters

Go down

Diabetes costs "Out of Control" BBC.  Empty Diabetes costs "Out of Control" BBC.

Post  beaniequeenie Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:04 am

(Sorry to jump in on your area Nick Smile )

The NHS is spending too much on diabetes drugs say researchers, who found the medicines account for 7% of the UK prescribing budget.

A big rise in the number of people with type 2 diabetes in recent years does not fully explain the spiralling costs, say Cardiff University researchers.

With rates of the condition expected to rise further, the NHS needs to get the budget under control, they conclude.

But GPs said they had to look out for the best interests of their patients.

In 2008 the NHS spent £700m on drugs to control blood sugar, figures show.

The researchers calculated that between 2000 and 2008 the number of prescriptions for glucose-lowering drugs had risen by 50%.

But costs, even taking into account the price of inflation, rose by 104%, they said.

Writing in the Clinical Pharmacist journal, they said figures for England specifically show an increase from £290m to £591m over the study period.

Researchers pointed to marked increases in use of the most expensive therapies.

Newer drugs, like rosiglitazone, as well as increasing use of insulin - the hormone that controls blood sugar levels in the body - have contributed to the increased costs, they said.

Lifestyle

Dr Chris Currie said the findings suggested that national guidelines are not being followed.

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence recommends lifestyle changes as a first-step in controlling type 2 diabetes, before drug treatment is started.

GPs should then start people on the basic treatments before looking at other options if they do not work.

The researchers said in recent years the new expensive treatments had been aggressively marketed by drugs companies.

However, the figures also showed a dramatic rise in use of metformin - a cheap generic drug recommended as first line treatment - which the researchers said was reassuring.

It is thought that 2.6m people in the UK have diabetes - 90% of those type 2 diabetes - and a further one million have the condition but have not yet been diagnosed.

"The drugs bill is extremely high," said Dr Currie.

"Somebody has got to take a lead in managing the way we treat people with diabetes and making sure doctors adhere to the recommendations.

"This is going to continue to rise and part of the issue is people don't realise how big the problem is."

But Dr Niti Pall, a GP in Birmingham and spokesperson for Diabetes UK said she did not agree with the authors' conclusions.

She said the job of GPs was to get blood sugar levels as low as possible by whatever means possible to prevent complications in their patients.

"They have not looked at the health economics, we are saving the NHS money in the long run.

"We need to do whatever it takes to get blood sugar down and some of the cheaper drugs don't do the job."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10740224
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

Diabetes costs "Out of Control" BBC.  Empty Re: Diabetes costs "Out of Control" BBC.

Post  Nick Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Hhahahaa....no problem Beanie and only too glad to see someone else post on here!

I saw it on BBC News Online first thing this am and was so disgusted and thought it was probably such bad research and 'sensational' proclamation that I couldn't be bothered to post it ! Smile

It is interesting that they picked out Rosiglitazone...a drug that has been proven to cause heart failure and / or acute coronary syndrome! Don't see them mentioning that and the fact that probably not too many Drs prescribe it now. They also don't mention liraglutide or exenatide both of which are far more expensive but can seriously bring glucose control and weight loss to recipients!

Plus they fail to mention that the most expensive ones are often prescribed by Consultants initially and not GP's + and it's a huge +....NICE have given permission for these expensive drugs to be used.

If I was a betting person I'd say that was because they recognise that the meds can help lower glucose levels and save the NHS a huge amount of money by preventing amputations/blindness/etc etc etc.

Maybe the researchers didn't look at that aspect??? Smile
Well in fact they didn't... they actually state that :-

'This analysis did not provide any information observed relating the increase in blood glucose-lowering therpay use and expenditure to clinical outcomes (benefits) '

I have in fact just scanned their full research paper in Diabetic Medicine and they are basically reporting on costs from 2000-2008. Their paper was accepted in Aug 2009 but only just published this month.

I note within the report that they acknowledge that total prescriptions for insulin rose from 24.3 million in 2000 (representing 2.2% of all diabetic prescriptions) to 44.6 million in 2008 (representing 2.0% of all prescriptions).

Now as diabetes is on the rise (incl Type 1) and as people who didn't need insulin in 2000 but did in 2008..and yet insulin script percentage dropped......... Mmmm well not so sure where they want to go with that one!

I rest my case.........

As far as I am concerned it's about as much use as a cat flap on a submarine cat cyclops

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down