Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EXERCISE INCREASE MY BLOOD SUGAR

4 posters

Go down

EXERCISE INCREASE MY BLOOD SUGAR Empty EXERCISE INCREASE MY BLOOD SUGAR

Post  ibeji Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 pm

HI everyone

Can you help. I have been doing some jogging every other day of the week for more than 5 years now but recently noticed my Blood sugar go up after I have finished my jogging. Typically I run up to 3 to 4 Kilometers in the morning and my blood sugar rises by about 2 to 3 mm
Is there a reason for this. Thanks

ibeji

Back to top Go down

EXERCISE INCREASE MY BLOOD SUGAR Empty Re: EXERCISE INCREASE MY BLOOD SUGAR

Post  beaniequeenie Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:32 am

This happens to me sometimes too. not 100 % on the reason, but I think it could be one of two things; 1) Your bg dips while you exercise causing your liver to release glucgon (I think), which will in turn cause your levels to rise. or 2) The exercise is causing your body to release an excess of adrenaline which is what keeps you going when exercising, (giving you more energy) which also causes your bg to rise.
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:06 am

Interesting ! Not heard this before, because if I go for a long walk then mine goes down. Sounds like a good answer from you Beanie. Think I might do a bit of research on that one Smile

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  beaniequeenie Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:45 am

Yeah mine usually goes down, but I have a few times when it will go up. I think it depends on what type of exercise & how you exercise & how long. (One of those complex things the body does). Let us know what you find though.
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Yes I will do Beanie. Had a quick look at a few paers but they were non diabetes specific. They more or less agreed with what you had posted Smile
Probably be the weekend before I get a real chance to look though as am inundated with patients at the moment and no time to research whilst at work. (and long may it last!)

Take care and thanks for your other posting. Beginning to think we are the only ones on here talking regularly!!!

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

EXERCISE INCREASE MY BLOOD SUGAR Empty RE: EXERCISE INDREASE MY BLOOD SUGAR

Post  toyetade Mon May 03, 2010 11:19 am

Anyone with answer to my problem. i.e why my bg increases while exercising. Is it the nature of my exercise which is jogging up hill for 10-15 minues. WHat should I do to keep my bg from rising during my jogging exercise

toyetade

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Just found this...may be a reasonable explanation

Nick -------

Exercise is great for lowering glucose because glucose is a rapidly metabolized form of energy, and when you exercise your body needs energy quickly. More often than not exercise will lower glucose, but there are certain circumstances under which blood glucose (BG) can actually increase from exercise.

Blood glucose can rise most commonly if your BG is too high when you start exercising or if you exercise very strenuously. Both of these rises are caused by the same reason, a deficit in necessary insulin to fund the activity.

BG Too High:
BG being too high always means that there is not enough insulin available to bring the BG down to where it should be. Whether T1 or T2, insufficient effective insulin can cause highs and exacerbate highs during exercise.
When you exercise muscles need energy and the quickest form of energy is glucose. Muscles will increase their sensitivity temporarily during exercise so that the same amount of insulin can bring more glucose into muscle cells so that they can work. However, if there is insufficient insulin the muscles will not be able to receive enough glucose from the blood, even if there is more than enough glucose in the blood. As a result, the muscles send a signal that they need more energy, which the body responds to by releasing more glucose. However, since there is still not enough insulin, BG rises and the muscles continue to send the signal for more energy. This is why if your BG is high before exercising, exercise can drive your BG up rather than down, the reason is that there is not enough insulin.

Exercise Strenuously:
The same reasons as above are the reasons why very strenuous exercise causes an increase rather than a decrease in BG. During strenuous exercise the muscles send a signal for more energy, which the body responds to by releasing more glucose. Without sufficient insulin, very hard exercise and sometimes even novel exercise will cause a rise in BG.
At rest, the body uses about 60% of its energy as fat and 40% as glucose. The harder you work, the less fat is used and the more glucose is used until you reach a state of anaerobic activity (weight lifting, fast sprinting) which uses 100% glucose. It is counterintuitive, but the harder you exercise the more insulin your body needs to deal with the increased amount of glucose being released for energy. Often by exercising at a less strenuous pace, can cause BG to decrease with exercise again.
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon May 03, 2010 5:51 pm

and another

-------------
Understanding Blood Sugar Spikes After Exercise

Blood sugar spikes after exercise confuse many diabetics. The idea of exercise for many diabetics is it will burn blood sugar thereby aiding in reducing blood sugar levels. Often diabetics monitor their blood sugar before exercise and after exercise. The blood sugar after exercise is often higher than before exercise and this is a source of confusion to diabetics.

There are two main reasons for the blood sugar spikes after exercise. One reason is the body releases growth hormone during exercise. Growth hormone is an anabolic (growth stimulating) hormone that burns fat for energy rather than glucose. The work that growth hormone does in the body is accomplished by the burning of fat and this is why blood sugar levels do not drop from exercise; blood sugar is not being burned as the primary source of energy for growth hormone. After growth hormone is used up in the anabolic processes, blood sugar will return to normal. In the meantime type II diabetics want to burn fat. Stimulating growth hormone by exercising leads to burning fat. This is what a type II diabetic wants. Stimulating growth hormone also leads to building muscle (see article "Exercise for type I and type II") and muscle improves metabolism versus fat. This is of benefit to type I and type II diabetics.

A second reason for blood sugar spikes is exercise stresses the body. This stress results in the body adapting to the changes exercise is forcing, such as the need to increase blood volume, the need for the heart to work harder, the need for increased respiration, and other such adaptations to exercise. The liver is an organ that stores about 20% of the glycogen (sugar) of the body. When the body is stressed, such as in exercise, the liver releases its sugar into the bloodstream. This additional sugar can raise blood sugar levels. Sugar released from the liver due to stress will eventually diminish and blood sugar levels will start to drop several hours after exercise.

Furthermore, a diabetic might consider reducing carbohydrates at nighttime and adding multi-fiber (the body uses many different fibers, so a multi-fiber might be more beneficial than only one type of fiber) supplements to evening meals. This might gradually reduce sugar readings in the morning. Read the articles on this web site about fiber.

In conclusion, release of growth hormone and glycogen from the liver can result in blood sugar spikes. After several hours the blood sugar levels will drop to normal for the diabetic if the growth hormone and sugar released from the liver are what caused the blood sugar spike. Therefore the point of this article is for diabetics to realize that often blood sugar spikes are normal after exercise. If the blood sugar returns to normal the diabetic should not stress himself over these spikes. Stress is not good for diabetics and there are many articles on this web site describing the negative aspects of stress in diabetes.

Note - Milder exercise may decrease glycogen release and blood sugar fluctuations. Less stress may decrease blood sugar spikes after exercising. For example, a mild walk might not be too stressful.

Note – In order for these anti-aging ideas to be successful, you must use supplements of the highest quality. Dr. Bob often said, "almost all supplement companies produce poor quality." You can consider the product page of this web site. Almost all the products met Dr. Bob’s approval. Since he passed away we have attempted to keep the same high standards.

WARNING: DO NOT STOP ANY TREATMENT OR MEDICATION YOU CURRENTLY USE. CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING THE USE OF SUPPLEMENTS.

Thank you for visiting this web site. Go with the flow and contribute to the music of the motion. If you are happy with any information found on this web site, please consider a donation.
The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated any of the statements contained on this web site. The information contained in this article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Remember each person's body is different and will react differently to various herbal, vitamin and mineral supplements. Therefore, any supplementation must be administered on an individual basis. Use the information found on this web site as precisely that: Information. You and your doctor must make any final decisions. This information is not meant to replace any doctor and patient consultation. This information should in no way replace your personal physician's advice.
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon May 03, 2010 5:54 pm

and more
Nick

How Does Exercise Affect Blood Sugar Levels?

Normally, insulin is released from the pancreas when the amount of sugar (glucose) in the blood increases, such as after eating. Insulin stimulates the liver and muscles to take in excess glucose. This results in a lowering of the blood sugar level.

When exercising, the body needs extra energy or fuel (in the form of glucose) for the exercising muscles. For short bursts of exercise, such as a quick sprint to catch the bus, the muscles and the liver can release stores of glucose for fuel. With continued moderate exercising, however, your muscles take up glucose at almost 20 times the normal rate. This lowers blood sugar levels.

But intense exercise can have the opposite effect and actually increase your blood glucose levels. This is especially true for many people with diabetes. The body recognizes intense exercise as a stress and releases stress hormones that tell your body to increase available blood sugar to fuel your muscles. If this happens to you, you may need a little bit of insulin after intense workouts.

For a variety of reasons, after exercise, people with diabetes may have an increase or a decrease in their blood sugar levels.
Is Blood Sugar Ever Too High to Exercise?

Yes. In some cases, you should hold off on exercising if your blood sugar is very high.
What Types of Exercise Is Best for Diabetes?

While most any exercise is healthy for people with diabetes, let's look at some specific types of exercise and their benefits:

Strength Training and Type 2 Diabetes

The latest findings show that exercise such as strength training has a profound impact on helping people manage their diabetes. In a recent study of Hispanic men and women, 16 weeks of strength training produced dramatic improvements in sugar control that are comparable to taking diabetes medication. Additionally, the study volunteers were stronger, gained muscle, lost body fat, had less depression, and felt much more self-confident.
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon May 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Hope that helps?

Sorry I totally forgot to look anything up after the other posts.... put it down to age and work ! Smile

Take care
Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  beaniequeenie Tue May 04, 2010 11:47 am

Wow someone has been busy researching! Smile
Thanks Nick. Very helpful indeeed.
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Tue May 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Pleasure....try Google Scholar sometimes and it's amazing what it can turn up...and sometimes I can even understand it !!! Smile
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bhatotia Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:03 am

exercise is known to decrease blood sugar.... But this sounds interesting... My cousin is a diabetes and he has been into exercise for the past few years.... his sugar level is now normal.... and he is still following his daily exercise routine....

bhatotia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down