Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello :D

3 posters

Go down

hello :D Empty hello :D

Post  mikep1979 Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:26 am

everyone

im mike and i am 29 (30 soon) and have been type 1 for over 9 years now Smile well i did use another site till recently but have found it to have gone a little off direction and no longer the site it should be. so i have been looking for other sites to see what they are like. i hope to be able to meet some nice people on here and look forward to discusing quite a few things with you all

mike

mikep1979

Back to top Go down

hello :D Empty Re: hello :D

Post  Clare Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Welcome aboard Mike Very Happy
Clare
Clare
Admin

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  mikep1979 Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:33 pm

is it always this quiet on here???

mikep1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes it's gone very quiet on here for a bit and needs to be livened up a bit.

I post a few things that I see relating to Diabetes and because I am a Health professional I get to see more than most others! Smile

I know more and more people are being diagnosed with Type 1 later in life than ever before. Did you get many symptoms that pointed you in the direction or was it a sudden onset?

Best wishes

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  mikep1979 Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:31 pm

hi nick,

well i was diagnosed at 20 and yes it was sudden but they seemed to think i had been diabetic for a couple of years however it wasnt picked up in any of my medicals for the army.

i know a fair bit about diabetes and whats going on etc etc. i also have good understanding of depression and diabetes as i did suffer early on with it. i have been a bad diabetic who didnt look after himself, but now i am a very very healthy guy who runs ironman events and loves to keep fit Very Happy

mike

mikep1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi Mike,

Well we all go through phases of being bad I think ~ at least I do. I work on the principal that I still need to have a life and unfortunately the vast majority of health professionals that you come into contact with are either as unhealthy as sin but don't recognise that they should not lecture cos they are in no fit state to.... or are as healthy as sin and couldn't give a rotund rodents rectum about how you feel about their lectures!

I work with the Diabetes Research Network and one of the things that I am so keen on getting researched is the depression that diabetics can suffer. I mean very few people that suffer from a chronic disease that the complications of will probably kill you get hammered by HP's with numbers....HbA1c, LDL, BP etc...

You have never heard of a cancer patient being berated because their lump has grown 2 cms have you?

When was the last time you were actually congratulated on getting yr HbA1c within a good scale??

No wonder we can get depressed...that is apart from watching others eat whatever they want and we can't!

I'm working hard to get some research done...failing that I'll do it myslef as I shall hopefully start a MSc in Diabetes in September.

take care

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mikep1979 Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:00 pm

well nick it is so true about the cancer sufferer, however as i recently lost someone very close to me from the big c i have a very good insight into it to.

i can see that as diabetics we have the rough ride, but i do feel that certain dsn and consultants are worth their weight in gold. i have the greatest team i have ever had and would hate to be back in the care of my first team now!!!! my dsn is type 1 and she wont lecture me over anything, my consultant just lays it on the table and asks what he can help with and my dieticien is superb. she used to be part of the springboks team (south african rugby union team). they are all superb and i feel so blessed. i do also know that it can be horrid when they just spout at you and lecture you. my first team thought it was the way to go with me, but it made me rebel in the end and it it how i nearly ended up dead.

well if you need help with the depression thing then give me a shout and i would be more than happy to share my experiences with you Smile

mike

mikep1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:12 pm

Sorry Mike somehow this didn't flag up to me that you had answered!

If I can get others interested in the research or decide to do it myself, I'll give you a call.

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum