Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello I'm Pat

+2
Buffy
Paddy
6 posters

Go down

Hello I'm Pat Empty Hello I'm Pat

Post  Paddy Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:33 pm

Hello everyone, I've just joined after reading of a article from Imogen in Nov/Dec Balance so thought I'd have a look.

I've been type 1 for 42 years and generally find it easy to get on with. Not always the case particularly when young as didn't understand and support was pretty useless so I'm a bit envious of all the support there is now. I take a pretty light hearted approach to diabetes and, whilst I take it v serious inside, on the outside I'm very jovial about it, sometimes making jokes especially experience of my hypo induced 'parallel worlds' Could tell you a few stories!

Take care

Pat

Paddy

Back to top Go down

Hello I'm Pat Empty Re: Hello I'm Pat

Post  Buffy Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi Pat,
Nice to meet you. Very quiet here at the mo, I expect, like me, everyone is enjoying the definitely not allowed food. Ha Ha. Funny thing is I don't enjoy mince pies and Christmas cake any more so am happilly going back to my regular diet. Cream is my failing, I'll have that on almost anything.
Talk soon.

Buffy

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi Pat/Paddy (I have a very close friend (female) who is called Paddy)
Welcome to the clan, yep we are quiet here, but things will pick up after the festivities. I hope you get to tell your stories, I, for one, would love to hear them!
Very Happy
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi Pat,
I'd love to swap some parallel world stories with you Wink Smile
Clare
Clare
Admin

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hello I'm Pat Empty Hypo

Post  Foreehl Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Hello Pat,

I just turned 40 and was just diagnosed with Type1 on New Years after going into a coma for 8 days. It is good to hear from someone that has Type 1 for a long time with such a great attitude still.

Although this is all very new to me I try to have a great attitude as well and keep fighting every day. Please tell me it gets easier after a few years!

This is my first time chatting in here and I’ve read a few chats where people talk about hypo, like fits. I assume hypo is when you go into an altered state of mind do too high or low blood sugar.

I believe I have experienced this a little, while I was in the hospital, violent fits and hallucinations, broke through 4 pairs of straps and could not be left alone. My wife thinks it was allergic reaction to the Ativan they had me on but I think it was all the high blood sugar, I was at 1500 when they took me in to the emergency. They said I should have been dead, guess it wasnt my time yet.

Sorry guess I went on a little, anyways Pat welcome and share a Hypo story with me im still not exactly sure what it is.

Foreehl

Back to top Go down

Post  keatingschick Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi Foreehl,
My daughter is 13 and she is type 1, been diagnosed for 3 years.....

Classic example just to interrupt my thread, she has just said "I feel a bit hypo", and she has gone downstairs to test and treat herself.

Has no one spoken to you properly about hypo and hyper? When my daughter was diagnosed, we had to have long meets with the diabetic team educating us about diabetes and how to cope/control and what we should expect to encounter along the way - though maybe thats because she was a child and it was our responsiblity???

Hypo is your low blood sugar, SOME people do experience fits - fingers crossed my daughter has never done this, though I have a ffriend who has a 6 year old daughter who has been type 1 since about 18 months old. The child has never been able to recognise her hypos (presumably because she has never known life before diabetes, whereas my daughter recognises the symptoms when she is going hypo and so can treat it before it gets too low) and therefore she drops into a fit when she is hypo.

My daughter (and presumably alot of other diabetics, will experience certain symptoms (my daughter feels shaky, and weird and her vision is affected) when they are low and will treat themselves. My daughter has only once FINGERS CROSSED AND TOUCH WOOD had what I classed as a bad hypo, where she dropped to the floor and we struggled to get her blood sugar back up, but generally she recognises her warning symptoms.

Hyper - is when the blood sugar is too high, and I don't know about anyone else but the only symptoms my daughter gets is that she gets thirsty, needs to wee alot and is bouncing off the walls like hyperactive.

keatingschick

Back to top Go down

Hello I'm Pat Empty That explains alot

Post  Foreehl Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks Keatingschick,

You cleared up Hypo and Hyper for me, the dr's just never called it that to me before. This is all so new to me i feel like all the young kids that are just being diagnosed yet I just turned 40. Im lucky I just have to start the battle now I guess.

I to get the shakes or can feel when my bs gets low the dr gave me some big shot for someone to juice me up in the case I cant do it myself, hopefully we wont ever have to use it.

Ya cant feel any difference with high bs unless it gets really high like 1500 then real thirsty, wee all the time like you said. Thats the only time I have felt symptoms from high bs.

Well back to work, Thanks again for clearing Hypo up for me.

Wish you and your daughter the best!

Foreehl

Back to top Go down

Post  keatingschick Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Foreehl wrote:Thanks Keatingschick,

You cleared up Hypo and Hyper for me, the dr's just never called it that to me before. This is all so new to me i feel like all the young kids that are just being diagnosed yet I just turned 40. Im lucky I just have to start the battle now I guess.

I to get the shakes or can feel when my bs gets low the dr gave me some big shot for someone to juice me up in the case I cant do it myself, hopefully we wont ever have to use it.

Ya cant feel any difference with high bs unless it gets really high like 1500 then real thirsty, wee all the time like you said. Thats the only time I have felt symptoms from high bs.

Well back to work, Thanks again for clearing Hypo up for me.

Wish you and your daughter the best!

Hi there, I didnt want it to be like I was telling my grandma to suck eggs, at the end of the day my experience of diabetes is sort of 2nd hand. But like I said when my daughter was diagnosed maybe cos we had to be responsible incase she wasnt with her being a minor and everything, the day after she was admitted to hospital, we were taking into a room and given like short bursts of diabetic training. I was given loads of information (Im a reader, I like to read up on things I think knowledge is power), and I have it all in a file. They sort of "tested" us on the information we had been given. They gave my daughter examples of what she might feel when she goes hypo, obviously so she might start to recognise it. They instructed us on what to do on a low bs reading, above 3.6 just feed, below 3.6 either 3 glucose tabs or 3 glugs of lucozade and then some kind of carbs to feed her IF she is concious, if she isnt fully concious obviously we have the glucogel, and then if she is unconcious we have the HYPOSTOP. Isn't there a clinic, or didn't they give you any kind of information?

keatingschick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum