Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

not sure where to post this

3 posters

Go down

not sure where to post this Empty not sure where to post this

Post  mikep1979 Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 am

Hi all,

i wasnt to sure which section to post this in, but i just wanted clarification on what others thought of it.

when i was a member of another diabetes site there were quite a few folks who were low carbing. i know this can be very good for type 2's who struggle with their levels. but what alarmed me was that there were people on there advocating no carbing!!!!! they were even telling type 1's to do it as it was safe!!!! im sorry and correct me if i am wrong but i am certain that a type 1 needs carbs in their diet. i spoke to my consultant and dsn and they even told me what was said was totally wrong and the site shouldnt be advocating such a idea. they were saying it is ok for a type 1 to enter dietry ketosis (my dsn and consultant both said this is the same as being in dka) and also that type 1's are always in a natural state of dietry ketosis.

well i wont get on the soap box anymore. just wanted to see what you all thought.

mike

mikep1979

Back to top Go down

not sure where to post this Empty Re: not sure where to post this

Post  Imogen Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:52 pm

I low carb (T2) - and I have read Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution (I would recommend it). I don't eat sugary stuff, crisps, potatos, pasta, rice, etc but I eat a LOT of veg and some fruit.

The way I see it is, read as much as you can and try things out. Diabetes is an individual problem for each of us and we need to test ourselves to see what we can and cannot eat. I have been diet controlled (only) for a year and although the last few months have been hard because of a major operation, I am getting back on track again.

Read up and test yourself with various foods and see what suits you and your life. Very Happy
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  mikep1979 Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:28 am

i wasnt saying not to low carb as i do low carb when im not training for ironman events. what i was getting at is the no carb side of it. you need some form of carbs in your diet. when i spoke to my dsn she told me that low carbing is fine and she herself as a type 2 low carbs, but she told me that to remove carbs altogether is just dangerous. no carbing is like doing the atkins diet as this is what they advocate in the diet. it is very foolish to think that just trying to go without carbs is going to be a healthy way to live as it wont be. if your body has no carbs to produce energy what will it use???

yup thats right it will use bodyfat, and when you burn bodyfat you produce????? yup ketones.

now i dont think it is wrong to try and sort diabetes out or to try and keep the foods out of your diet that cause you the biggest problems, but as i keep saying you cant get rid of carbs altogether.

mikep1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:30 am

How the heck do the actually NO carb? I cannot see it would be practice in day to day life anyway, I actually don't believe them...
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  mikep1979 Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:28 pm

they do it (so they said) by not eating anything with carbs in. they cut out all but lean meats and fish. also they use only eggs and skimmed milk. they eat virtually nothing but this. as i have tried to explain to them before that your body needs fuel to move etc and fuel for the body is carbs, but they know better and say it is best to not have carbs at all and this helps them maintain a low hba1c. yeah it will do that. they also said that the body can cope with having ketones in the system at low rates at all times. yes it can in a non diabetic due to the fact the pancreas will produce insulin to request and flush the ketones away all the time, but diabetics cant deal with them like that. also some of the ladies doing it were saying it aided weightloss, yes it will due to the body burning fat for fuel but as we all know it is the wrong thing to do for diabetics.

sorry to be going on like this but i feel i had to post it due to the fact i wouldnt recommend the other site to anyone on here as they wouldnt delete the thread which i felt was very very short sighted and gave the wrong idea out.

mikep1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi Mike.

Good posting !

Yes I agree no carbs is definitely NOT the way to go, although as we all know the Atkins diet will make us lose weight (and give us additional wind and bad breath) and probably shoot up your LDL levels as well.

Everything in moderation I would think and the other site really shouldn't be advocating something that could do you more harm than good (i.e no carbs)

Best wishes

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down