Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip for getting rid of Verrucas

2 posters

Go down

Tip for getting rid of Verrucas Empty Tip for getting rid of Verrucas

Post  beaniequeenie Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 am

I recently caught a verruca at the gym. (Majorly unimpressed at it was the one & only time since being diagnosed that I have gone anywhere without shoes/socks)

Ran out to get Bazuka, cos that clears them up nice an quick. Only to see a big warning that diabetics can't use it, or any of them products. Crying or Very sad
Was told that I needed to see my dr to get it treated, went to him and got a referal put in to the podiatrist. After two weeks and still no appointment letter I took matters into my own hands...

Get a banana peel, cut a piece of the peel big enough to cover the verruca, put it on skin side out so the yucky banana bit is on the verruca and cover with a plaster. Leave over night, next morning throw away the plaster & banana, soak your foot and lightly rub the top layer of the verruca with a pumice stone (I covered it with a plaster during the day too). Do the same every night until it's gone.

It took 4 days and now it completely gone. Magic! Very Happy
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

Tip for getting rid of Verrucas Empty Re: Tip for getting rid of Verrucas

Post  Nick Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:19 pm

Hahahahahaa well done Beanie! This is one of the most fabled 'Old Wives Tales' along with squashed slug etc!

I am sure that you know that a verruca is a Human Papilloma Virus and can be pretty difficult to get rid of. The only way (unless you are a child where they tend to resolve on their own) is to promote rapid cell production in the skin to push the virus out. The way to do this is to use anything that will macerate the skin over the lesion and gently rub that away until the verucca has gone. Duct tape can be very effective too... Bazooka uses an acid (low concentration salicylic acid) to do exactly the same and to cover the area with a poly acrylic vehicle ( I love that phrase) to stop you from passing it on to anyone else.javascript:emoticonp('Shocked')

Be very careful about using a pumice stone ever ! (In fact throw it away) Use a metal file or a foot paddle (flimsy plastic handle version) and when you have rubbed the lesion use very hot water and liquid soap and a nail brush to clean it off and then air dry. With a pumice nothing ever leaves the stone and gets embedded in it...HPV, athletes foot, any fungal or yeast or bacterial infection...just lying there ready to infect you somewhere else.javascript:emoticon p('affraid')

BTW the handles are flimsy to PREVENT you going mad with it if rubbing off hard skin!! If you break it...you have probably been going mad with it and taken too much skin off!javascript:emoticonp('No')

While I am on my soap box, never try to take off callus when you are in the bath or when your feet are wet and hot. Always do it when they are cold and before a shower/bath etc. Unless you are neuropathic (and you shouldn't be trying to take it off then anyway) you'll feel how much you are taking off if they are cold and you won't when they are hot plus it comes off in layers when hot!

Blimey and that was supposed to be a short reply! Very Happy

It's the weekend and my Podiatrist's hat is coming off now. Have a good w/end Beanie and anyone else reading this.

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  beaniequeenie Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:53 am

Eugh about the stone!

Actually I had thrown that one away purely because I used it on a verruca, but now I'll never use one again!
Thanks for the advice on only rubbing cold feet. I've always done it with feet that had been soaked to make the skin soft, but then like you said, you could take off too many layers.

So much stress being diabetic all these silly things to think about. Other people wouldn't worry about rubbing their feet to hard or sticking bananas to their feet. Laughing
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Hehehehe I have a couple who appear to dig potato's up with their toes too !

I almost need an angle grinder to try and clean 'em before I start work on them....... Ahhh the sweet pleasures of dealing with certain members of the public Smile

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum