Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thought

4 posters

Go down

Thought Empty Thought

Post  Imogen Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:42 am

Yep, I was thinking this morning.... I KNOW it's dangerous... but I thought I'd give it a go. confused Anyway, I was waiting for Josh to get his hair cut and I was thinking about him going to school and how much I feel that having diabetes is like being tested every day - I don't mean blood tests, etc, I mean - being in a test - like if I do well with what I eat and how much I exercise, I'll pass today's test...

I always hated tests!!!!!! study
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Thought Empty Re: Thought

Post  Clare Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:55 pm

I know exactly how you feel. Since being diagnosed with Type 1 Brittle Asthma I see every day as a challenge.
I can have an attack at any time without warning, but me being me, I set myself harder tasks each day. It's pathetic really, but I'm building myself up to walking up the drive without ending up in a coma (not much fun Shocked )
Clare
Clare
Admin

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:09 pm

I know you've had some bad ones recently, haven't you. I guess I am "lucky" with my asthma. Since being on Seretide every day, I hardly ever catch a cold (I used to have them every couple of months) and hardly ever get even wheezy! So, for me, being diagnosed and on treatment has actually made me feel better.

I cannot imagine having brittle asthma - are there certain things that spark you off or is it completely random?
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Thought Empty re asthma

Post  jenrose Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi Clare

Are you housebound Clare? I used to get asthma but don't get it now, so I know the hell of it, and to have t1 too must be a real challenge. What gives you strength?

Jenny

jenrose

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:29 pm

It's completely random. The "big one" was caused by spray paint fumes at the garage when I went to book my MOT (I was only in there 2 minutes).
I was in a medical coma for about 10 days - they knocked me out with enough Ketamine to down two race horses.
I am now on a Symbicourt turbohaler twice a day, plus if I need it during the day. Theophylline twice a day, and Montelukast (Singulair) once a day. I also carry a Ventolin with me at all times and have a nebuliser set up "just in case". I've got a SATS machine and a BP machine - the bedroom looks like a hospital ward.
I panic if I feel a cold coming on because I know I'll end up with a chest infection. Doug and the kids are paranoid about me Rolling Eyes

It's absolutely terrifying, knowing that I could just drop dead in an instant really puts things into perspective.
One good thing to come out of it all though........ No more hayfever Laughing

I'm not house-bound, I just carry on as normal. Doug's up in Oxford (I'm in Devon), so someone has to keep the house going. My strength comes from my kids.....and my dogs.
Clare
Clare
Admin

Back to top Go down

Thought Empty re challenge

Post  jenrose Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi Clare

I hope your asthma will go away one day as it did with me. It is more scary when you have children. I had a severe attack after taking an aspirin and thought I was going to die when I was in the house on my own when my first born was 14 months old. I first came down with asthma when I was nineteen and caught the Hong Kong flu and then developed pleurisy as well. I make sure I have the flu jab with my hubby every year especially with the diabetes now.

We have a little female Jack Russell and a 10 week old tom kitten and a teenager in the house to keep our minds more active.

jenrose

Back to top Go down

Post  caroline wilson Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:59 am

We all have our challenges. I was diagnosed type 2 in 2006, my mum had an op for breast cancer then announced that she was the 6th person in a row in our family to have had breast cancer. My friend was involved in a major accident and two children died. We adopted a little boy who has been with us for 18 months, then my childminder let me down. I am also supporting my husband who has osteoarthritis in his knees and hips. I am thankful to forums like this as they make me feel more supported and less isolated.

caroline wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:24 am

And I thought that I'd had a dodgy couple of years Shocked
It's corny, but I believe that once you've hit rock bottom (as I have on several occasions), things can only get better.

I know what you mean about the Forums - I'd be lost without them.
Clare
Clare
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  caroline wilson Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:48 pm

The last couple of years have been a real emotional roller coster for me. I have been lower than I ever thought it possible to get, and I've come back through it. I now know I can cope with much more than I ever thought possible.

Growing up I was taught (by my mother mostly) that it was weak to show emotion and week to ask for help, so I'd cry alone and cary the whole burden by myself. Now I know differently, and I know who my friends are too. This is the first day of the rest of my life so best foot forward and all that jazz I love you Like a Star @ heaven

caroline wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Good for you - I can feel the vibes from here cheers
Clare
Clare
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content