Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can someone help me please?

3 posters

Go down

can someone help me please? Empty can someone help me please?

Post  grannyzap Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:08 pm

I am type 2 and I have no idea of what I can and can't have. I would be most grateful if soemone could give me some advice. I am waiting to see a dietician, and I am going in hospital in just over a week, so I would like some help. I love you

grannyzap

Back to top Go down

can someone help me please? Empty Re: can someone help me please?

Post  Justine Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:59 am

Hi grannyzap, sorry didnt reply last night. Type 2 Diabeties is when your pancreaus is not producing enough insulin for the food you eat. Insulin is a hormone that releases sugar from you blood into usable energy for your muscles ect. All Carbohydrates are digested into sugar and this includes bread, potatoes, Pasta, rice, these are complex carbohydrates and are slow at releasing sugar into your blood. Cakes, sugary food, biscuts etc are fast action carbohydrates which release sugar quickly into your blood. Untill you see your Medic just eat health carbohydrates like fruit and veg. These do not give you sugar rushes and when you see your dietition she will explain what food plan will help you keep your sugar levels as close to normal levels with the medication you are prescribed. Dont worry about this week too much because once you are being seen by the medics they will answer all your questions and help you move forward with a plan that suits your body and life style. Hope this helps.
Justine

Justine

Back to top Go down

Post  caroline wilson Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:58 am

Agree with Justine, go for complex carbs, plenty of fruit and veg. Are you a meat eater? Chicken and some types of fish wont raise the cholesterol too much. Whole grains and things made with whole meal flour are better than things made with refined white flour.

I believe there are also some guidelines on the Diabetes UK web site along with some nice recipe and meal ideas.

Your dietician will give you lots of ideas and tips too. If possible talk to other diabetics and use these forums. I know we are all individuals, and that it is trial and error, but we are here to help each other.

caroline wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum