Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flexitol.....

2 posters

Go down

Flexitol..... Empty Flexitol.....

Post  Clare Sun May 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this really, so I thought I'd stick it in here.
The hospital up in London has advised Doug to use Flexitol on his feet (the skin's getting really dry under his sexy stockinette Wink ), it says on the box that it's medically approved for both "normal" and Diabetic foot care.

My question is, is it any good?
Clare
Clare
Admin

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Flexitol..... Empty Re: Flexitol.....

Post  Nick Mon May 16, 2011 6:38 am

Hi Clare,

Yes it is very good and available now on prescription. It contains 25% urea (the body's natural moisturiser). However it has been around for a numebr of years (exported from Australia) and is a very very thick cream. A little bit goes a very long way and it's a good idea to put a sock on after using on feet to help it work in.

There are lighter creams available, Vesagex is one and also very good and in 25% form (with peppermint).

CCS is excellent and it comes in 10% and 25% urea forms (25% is called heel balm) available at any Boots or decent chemist. This was a cream I always sold and used and recommended until last year when a new cream came out called Ureka. It is only avaialble from Podiatrists and is in both 10 and 25% forms. it is a very very light cream, smells great (geranium, lavender and some citronella ) and is the only one I use and sell now and have got good feedback from my patients and also from me !

Generally with these creams less is more and you don't need more than a thumbnail size blob to do the entire foot (unless they are in a terrible state). Very dry skin use twice a day and then really once a day or every other day afterwards to keep it supple.

Don't forget NEVER put any creams like this between toes all you will end up with athletes foot

Hope that helps Smile

Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare Mon May 16, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks Nick Very Happy

I picked up two tubes of Flexitol from Superdrug (it was on bogof, so I got 2 for less than the price of one from Boots Wink )
I've tried it on my extremely dry, rough elbows and it's fantastic!

I just needed to know that it's ok for Dougs' feet.

I can't believe how this wound is healing - it's approximately a third of the size it started at and is beautifully clean. He's still had no pain, just a mild ache at the end of the day.
I still can't get over him having his first ever surgical procedure under a local anesthetic Shocked
Clare
Clare
Admin

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum