Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More testing strips

3 posters

Go down

More testing strips Empty More testing strips

Post  Imogen Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Although they didn't seem keen, my diabetes nurse has prescribed me some test strips for my machine and given me a new pricky finger pen thingy as well! Woo Hoo. And they are on repeat prescription. They said for Type 2's it wasn't thought necessary, but I came out with a whole heap of reasons to, the main one was that I wanted to see how my BS's were in the first few months depending on what I ate (i.e. a training exercise). She agreed that was probably a good idea. PHEW!

I have until the end of Nov to lose weight and try and control my BS's with diet otherwise they will consider putting me on medication. I don't really want to go there, if I can help it.

I have bought myself a small tramoline, for wet days, and for Josh to play on!!!!!!!

Exercise today: filling sandbags - 45 minutes. walking the dogs - 30 minutes. Cycling with Josh - 30 minutes.
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

More testing strips Empty Re: More testing strips

Post  Imogen Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Oh and my kidney function is "spot on"...! At least something is working properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca130 Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:25 am

How much weight do you have to lose? I was just diagnosed as a pre-diabetic and my doc said that if I can get ahold of it now it will help for my future. I did Atkins about 5 years ago and DH and I felt great on it, which is probably why our hypoglycemia seemed to be in check then. BOth he and I were diagnosed 2 months apart on the hypoglycemia and 3 weeks apart on the pre-diabetes. both of his grandfathers had diabetes but I have no family that I know of (and we pretty much know the health history of both mom and dad's family) that were diabetic. One cousin is hypoglycemic but other than that, that's it. I told him it was pre-diabetes by marriage, I have no other explaination for it. At least I can try to cook well for both of us. We have a wonderful daughter and a little DGD that turned 2 in June that we have to stick around for.

Good luck with your weight loss.

BTW, I have lost 14 pounds with WW since January and I have 52 to go to get back to my lifetime goal weight and weigh in for free again.
Rebecca130
Rebecca130

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:50 am

Hi and welcome to the board! Very Happy

Well I weighed about 197lb at Christmas last year - I was 183lb 3 weeks ago and now I weigh 175lb. I want to be about 140 - 150llbs. I was doing low fat for a week and a half but my glucose levels were really high. I am doing low carb now and I think they are settleing down a bit. I did Atkins about 8 years ago and lost loads and felt great once the first week was over. So I have decided to do very low carb for a while until I lose weight (whilst checking my levels) and then I will add some extra things (slow release carbs) so I stay steady.

The thing that will help you - having pre-diabetes is that you will lose your visceral fat first, this is the stuff that inhibits your insulin useage.... having lipsuction (for example) doesn't take this visceral fat away so doesn't help!!! Jeez, I actually sound like I know what I am talking about (which of course, I dont!!! Laughing )

Well I am adopted so I have no idea whose fault it is... however, think on this. More people are getting diabetes than ever - so I guess it either, a. doesn't have to be inherited or, b. someone in your distant past had it....

I hope you find it helpful here (or at least provide you with something to giggle at!!!) Very Happy
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca130 Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 am

Thank you for the info, yes, it is helpful. This weekend was my birthday and I pretty much went off my low carb diet (not good, I know) but on Monday, I'm going to be back with it.

See ya, and thanks.
Rebecca130
Rebecca130

Back to top Go down

Post  caroline wilson Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:37 am

I have two test meters, one I keep at work and one for home. Because one was given to me by the hospital my doctor prescribes the strips and little pricks for me. The one at work was bought by a manager and I share it, so everyone takes a share in buying strips and pricks, which are amazingly expensive.

I too need to loose some weight, I want to reduce the number of pills I have to take (four a day, but one is for blood pressure), and I'm an optimist. In this issue of Balance Magazine is an article about carb counting, so perhaps I shall read that and see if I can work out how to do it.

caroline wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:17 pm

There is a lot about carb counting - or low-carbing - here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes%2Dforum/

if that helps... I know my readings have improved enormously - I am not currently on medication.
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down