Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharps bin

+2
Clare
Buffy
6 posters

Go down

Sharps bin Empty Sharps bin

Post  Buffy Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:33 pm

When I went to the clinic the nurse said go to the gp and get a sharps bin !!!!! I've never used one. I usually cut the syringe to bits with pliers, wrap it with masking tape and put it in a coke tin.

So off I went........you'd have thought I was asking for the moon wrapped in gold paper. Big conference about how and where etc. They finally found a form that has to be signed by a doctor, faxed to some-one else and I came away with a piece of paper with a number to ring when the box was full and needed replacing. I haven't even got it yet. Oh dear!!!

Does any one use such a thing? If so, how and where do you get it?

Buffy

Back to top Go down

Sharps bin Empty Re: Sharps bin

Post  Clare Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:39 pm

We've got one, it sits on a cupboard in the bedroom...........We keep our change in it Embarassed

Doug usually does what you do - wrap it well and throw it away Rolling Eyes
Clare
Clare
Admin

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Your doctor must supply you with one and I personally get one on prescription! You can also try vets! But you must have one if you are disposing of sharps. Smile
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Ok, got that one wrong Embarassed

While he's working away, he wraps his sharps and then once a month he takes them down to his local hospital and they get rid of them for him.

I still use the bin for my pennies though Rolling Eyes
Clare
Clare
Admin

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  caroline wilson Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:14 pm

Got mine from the receptionists at the doctors. My doctor is bad at giving information. When it's full (at my rate some time next century) it goes back to the doctors for disposal. Ask the receptionist or the practice nurse. Mine is bright yellow and sits on the toilet floor as a deterent to any one spending longer than necessary in there!

caroline wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  beaniequeenie Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:17 am

The chemist has small ones that you can get on prescription. Although if you ask nicely they may let you buy one. Some chemists collect the full ones too, although I have to get mine collected by the local authority for some reason. They are the worst people to deal with, I ask for a 5-7 litre bin, then I only have to deal with them 3/4 times a year.

Anyway, if you can get a bin you can buy a BD clip from the chemist which snips off the sharp bits and stores them meaning you can throw the rest of the neeld in the bin. That's what i take on hiloday. They're small so fit in your bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Insulin-Syringe-Needle-Clipper/dp/B000BI3Y4K (hope this link works I never do them. )
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Garfield Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:53 am

I get mine on my repeat script as and when needed. Rolling Eyes
Garfield
Garfield

http://www.royharrison.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  caroline wilson Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 am

I also made enquries at work about disposing of sharps and was told if I filled a container with sharps and test strips, then contacted the building help desk, they could arrange collection and safe disposal. There are at least three people in my office who are diabetic, so it is always worth finding out what is available.

caroline wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Buffy Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Hello and a Happy New Years to all of you.

My GP did finally arrange for a sharpes bin to be delivered and collected. After all these years of cutting with pliers and wrapping with masking tape life is a bit easier. It only because my OH needs it now.

We learn !!!!

Buffy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum