Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from someone else new

5 posters

Go down

Hello from someone else new Empty Hello from someone else new

Post  Rebecca Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi. I've just found this too from reading Balance. Great idea! I'm 36, was diagnosed with diabetes when I was pregnant 6 years ago. I was diagnosed type 2, but I am currently being tested for monogenic diabetes (I dont really fit the profile for type 2).

I completely agree that the emotional care given to newly diagnosed is inadequate. I found it completely shocking when I was diagnosed (as I don't know anyone else with diabetes - friend or family) and I have really struggled to come to terms with it. I think i'm only just coming to terms with it now, 6 years on, and that's after some counselling and several years on anti depressants.

What really hacks me off (rant warning!) is the media's portrayal that diabetes is something you just get if you are overweight, eat unhealthily, don't exercise etc. Its almost like its your fault that you've got it. And in many cases, there was nothing you could do to prevent it happening.

Anyway, like I said, I think I am just about coming to terms with it.

Does anyone else find it hard it social situations, like drinks with new people, or coffee things at school when you have to refuse cakes, biscuits etc and you can almost see people thinking that you're just being really precious about staying thin. I find it hard to just tell people (and I dont see why I should, but then I get embarrassed).

Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Hello from someone else new Empty Re: Hello from someone else new

Post  Nick Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:18 pm

What really hacks me off (rant warning!) is the media's portrayal that diabetes is something you just get if you are overweight, eat unhealthily, don't exercise etc. Its almost like its your fault that you've got it. And in many cases, there was nothing you could do to prevent it happening[quote]

Hi Rebecca,

Oh you are well and truly with me on a soap box there!! The number of patients that I have with Type 2 who are slim and even skinny sometimes! But do we hear Diabetes UK or anyone else say that you don't have to be fat to be a diabetic?

Actually another pet hate (and I have heard it from fellow Health Professionals).
' Oh you're so lucky to have that type and not the other type where you have to keep injecting!'

Evil or Very Mad

Bless the ignorant and may they see the truth before it hits them!

Take care
Nick
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:52 pm

What the...??? They actually said that, Nick? I know type 2's who inject so what ARE they talking about!!! "Professional"... yeah, right!

Rebecca, welcome to the forum, I too had gestational diabetes, and then was "OK" for a while until I got tested recently. It's like having a sledgehammer passed through your life - I found it very hard to come to terms with.

I don't find social situations hard because, I guess, I am an open person and just say "I have diabetes". I see it as a positive, because then, if I am asked a question about it, I can enlighten (with my limited knowledge) those around me, so that us millions of diabetics get to communicate with people who don't suffer with the condition. I mean, I have found it that people who are diabetic won't talk about it (almost an embarrassment sometimes) - and I think that makes it worse, because other people won't ever learn to question what is in the newspapers.

However, we are all individual and we all have to act on our own feelings, so I am not saying that all diabetics should be open about it. Very Happy

I DO find it hard that I cannot eat the stickie goodies, though!!!
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Hello from someone else new Empty public perseptions

Post  Justine Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi Rebecca, I am happy to tell people am diabetic because obviously always ask for Dcoke at bars and have been given normal coke before. People make judgement from a persons appearance and obviously think am being silly. It really scares them into submission when I say have to have Dcoke because D! hope this stops them doing the same to some other diabetic in the future!

Realy think NHS should run courses for newly diagnosed and long diagnosed diabetics. When I was diagnosed was in shock and shut down for a long time and have had lots of different help in the past for depression etc. The NHS would have much more compliant diabetics on its hand if they had been given all the time and support in the beginning that they needed! Infact I was given an orange, told to inject it and then told u will have to do this for the rest of your life! What a start!!!

Justine

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:07 pm

I think a lot of it has to do with money (well, there's a surprise) - because in the NHS time = money. When I was diagnosed with gestational D - I was told to hurry up when I was upset about injecting myself because there was others waiting.... Shocked I understand, but it was SO hard!
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:16 am

thank you all - you've made me feel I'm not alone in all this (which is kind of comforting). Maybe I will try to be more open about it. I think I've struggled because of the "its your fault you've got it" thing, but I'm going to have to get over this as its not the case!

Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:53 am

I really understand that - but it is up to us diabetics to inform people. It's like being a parent - it's surely better to tell your children yourself about certain things (religion, sex, bullying) than for them to find out from other sources.
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Junglegirl Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:15 pm

hello, crikey I get around a bit. Just wanted to say hi, as a Type 1 - I had to laugh at the "better than the other one" remark - I have to say, and I know its wrong, but being on injections, I can just put extra stuff in the syringe and have a slice of cake (yum yum) was that mean of me to say that or what?

It took me 4 hours to do my first injection, and it still hurt me more than it did damn orange they gave me to practice on!

I hate the taste of diet cake - but have found I can tolerate Coke Zero "phew"

Junglegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:53 pm

I can't really drink diet drinks (only once in a while as a real "treat"!!) because they cause me to have IBS and empty myself rather quickly (trying to be delicate - which is against my nature).... So I had to give up my lovely Pepsi Max.... Sad I stick to water mostly, the occasional cuppa tea - one or maybe two a day - and a very occasional glass of wine or one beer.
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum