Diabetes Chat

New testing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New testing

Post  beaniequeenie on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15 am

What do people think of apple's new bg monitor?
http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/16186726

I think its a great move. Connects the phone and is stored. I'm guessing that you can also make graphs etc of readings? And you can add a food log (not sure how detailed or if it's just recording a carb vaule). I read on one site (I think it might have been the iBGstar website) that there is more to come too.

Only one problem. I don't have an iphone....
beaniequeenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New testing

Post  Nick on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:54 am

Hadn't heard about but just clicked on your link.

I like it !

Guess it will catch on with some but as some meters now have memories that are God knows how long and will calculate averages etc for you - and you can often get these meters free, I wonder how many will bother?

Good posting Beanie. Wish others joined in too Sad

Admin

View user profile http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  beaniequeenie on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:07 am

I like it too.

It seems like not many people know about it. I was talking to my nurse yesterday and asked her if she thought the strips & lancets would be avaliable on the nhs. (I wouldn'tmind buying the attachment itself) and she didn't know what I was talking about. I think it's a shame really. I'm sure apple will eventually have this also linked to their icloud which would mean you would be able to view your stats on your ipad/mac. (Which in turn will mean google will make something similar.) Then when you go to the hospital you can just bring up all the info.

I have a bg reader that links to my pump, but it is so big! It must be twice the size of a freestyle lite and requires a bigger testing sample. So i pushed that to the side somewhere...
My nurse asked me if I wanted another one. I politely declined. THEN, to get the graphs etc you have to log on to the carelink system through a variety of links on the carelink website (so some reason the log-in screen won't save as a favorite), then you got to plug in a USB to your pc and connect to your pump via infra-red (i think) after entering your pump serial number. THEN it takes about 5 minutes to extract all the data (so long as you haven't been wearing a CGM, other wise it's more like 10 minutes).

Basically it's long and a pain, and I dont do it because I can't be bothered. I think the idea of being able to see it all on your phone is great and I also think that it might encourage younger people to keep on top of things (who I hear are the ones the nhs worry about because they tend not to test etc).

Don't worry Nick we can just keep talking to each other. Ha ha.
beaniequeenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Mmm when you put it that way...yep the app sounds fabulous Beanie.

I love my iphone especially after the limitations of my Blackberry. Don't need the app or attachment so wont bother but good to know that it exists and I can tell others esp Type 1 about it.

Sounds like we re going to have to talk to each other Smile

Ahh well such is....... what's your real name BTW or do you prefer dark and mysterious 'Beanie'?

Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Or do I know it already and forgotten Sad

Mea culpa mea culpa mea culpa if I do

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  beaniequeenie on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 am

You could be forgiven for thinking I'm a sales person for apple! Ha ha. (I'm not I dont even have an iphone.) Smile

Beanie isn't my real name, but it is the name everyone calls me. So its the name I prefer. Very Happy (Honestly where is everyone? Shocked )
beaniequeenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Good enough for me Smile

Goodness knows..... all given in I reckon

Sad

Admin

Back to top Go down