Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New, and looking for information

2 posters

Go down

New, and looking for information Empty New, and looking for information

Post  Lelagail Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi, I work w/people who have disabilities and I've joined this site to try to help one of the people I work with. This person has limited means and gets Medicare. The doctor has told him he needs to monitor his blood sugar but Medicare won't pay for the equipment and he doesn't have the money to pay for it out of pocket. I spoke to the pharmacy and they advised looking on line for free monitors which you can get for using a company's test strips. I was hoping someone out there could advise me on this. I see Liberty and Diabetes Care Club offer free glucometers. Does anyone know if these are any good or if this is a rip-off? Maybe you can offer some ideas or suggestions which will help.

I appreciate it!

Lelagail

Lelagail

Back to top Go down

New, and looking for information Empty Re: New, and looking for information

Post  beaniequeenie Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:20 am

Are you based in the UK? If so your collegue should be able to go to his GP/ diabetes care team and get a free monitor. I'm not sure about the free ones, so I wouldn't like to say if they are a rip-off or not, but 2 concerns would be; What if they stop making the test strips/ discontinue the monitor and he can't get a new one? 2nd, It may not be a scam as such, but there are a lot of "free" things on-line that suddenly turn out to be really expensive and enbedded in a tiny clause someplace, so he could end up with a lot of aggro trying to get out of it.

Try the diabetes team first. If you aren't in the UK could he/you contact the national diabetes charity and see what advice they have for ppl on limited incomes?
beaniequeenie
beaniequeenie

Back to top Go down

New, and looking for information Empty Thanks

Post  Lelagail Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:23 pm

No, I'm located in the US. You brought up some good things to take into concideration. Thank You!

Lelagail

Back to top Go down

New, and looking for information Empty Re: New, and looking for information

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down