Diabetes Chat

New Medication?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Medication?

Post  Shona on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:41 am

Things have been going smoothly for Dave for a while. He has been taking his medication religiously (something which has always been a problem for him), and has seriously limited his sugar intake and is actually trying to improve his eating habits. His sugar levels appear to be stable most of the time, with the occasional blip where they rise, and then fall again without any adjustments to his medication (can usually tell by the apearance and disappearance of thrush).
Recently he has developed a case of thrush which hasnt disappeared with the help of medication, so he made an appointment with the dr and diabetic nurse. This time he saw a new nurse, she did the finger prick which tested his blood at 11 so she sent him off for full bloods. The results came back at 9.4 Apparently she isnt happy about how high his levels are and wants him to change his medication. She has told him to get his blood retested in 3 months and if there is no improvement she wants him to try Gliclazide.. before moving him to an injection based medication which she hopes will help him lose weight.

She told him to look at the diabetes uk website for info on gliclazide, but the only thing we can see there is a great big huge list of side effects one of which is weight gain Shocked .. now Dave is rather large at 25 stone, so could really do without something likely t make him gain more weight. So its really put him off the idea of using it.
Has anyone used it before? Is there an alternative? He's currently taking 1000mg Metformin twice daily to control the blood sugars.
Shona

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/shona.lawrence

Back to top Go down

Re: New Medication?

Post  Nick on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi Shona,

I went onto Sitagliptin at Xmas along side 3 x 850mg Metformin. It has an saiety effect (so you don't feel hungry and has dropped my weight a bit and also my mmols by over 1.5 in 3/12's.

I wouldn't take Gliclazide pesonally due to side effects and esp weight gain and hypos. Ask the nurse to try Sitagliptin and see if that helps or as he is that weight ask for either exenatide (2 jabs per day and still best to stay on metformin as it lessens side effects) or liraglutide (again with metformin (1 jab at anytime during the day.. Both can have a dramatic effect on weight (and I mean dramatic...10 stone + maybe) but not everyone can get on with it.

Liraglutide might still be by consultant prescribing only although I think it is being dropped to GP level locally to me fairly soon. It's the one that I would ask to try if I can't get mine down any more.

Take care

Nick

Admin

View user profile http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Shona on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:40 pm

thanks Nick. Its defentitely given us something to think about.
Shona

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/shona.lawrence

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:24 am

Doug's been on Gliclazide for ages and hasn't had any side effects. Like your Dave he's well over 20 stone and was a bit concerned about the possible weight gain -But he's lost approx 6 stone in the last 12 months.

He has slow-release Metformin twice a day and injects NovoRapide and Levemir (insulin), he also take Ramapril and a whole bunch of other meds that I can't for the life of me remember Rolling Eyes

His bloods have been pretty stable for the last few weeks (between 6 and 7) although they did drop to 3.3 one day last week Shocked - I was so glad he was in hospital, they managed to get it back up before anything more serious than a muzzy head occured.

Clare
Admin

View user profile http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum