Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One for the ladies !

2 posters

Go down

One for the ladies ! Empty One for the ladies !

Post  Nick Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Sorry ladies.... I just had to put this one on!
Nick

Sunday, November 7, 2010 12:13 AM EDT
High heels dangerous to women’s health

By Staff Reporter

Nearly three million women suffer high-heels related injuries which need medical attention, a recent study suggests. The Sun reported that 3000 women in the age group of 18 to 65 were studied by Hot Shoes, makers of comfort footwear.

Most women twisted an ankle or tore a tendon but there were serious cases also of smashed teeth, broken bones and nasty falls. Yet, even this is not enough to dissuade 60 per cent of those interviewed for the study who said that they will continue wearing heels.

Almost 90 per cent of participants reported discomfit and ruined nights because of high heels. And 61 per cent reported sitting the night out due to the pain.

Only two per cent of those interviewed said that they did not wear high heels. Medical reports suggest that high heels could lead to foot deformities, posture problems, neck injuries and permanent damage in some cases. A 2001 Harvard study also found that high heels can set the stage for osteoarthritis of the knees.

Another study done by the shoe firm MBT claims high heel-induced injuries like twisted ankles, bunions and ingrown toenails cost the UK £29 million a year. The MBT study that included 1,000 women found that four in 10 women suffered an injury in their heels, such as falling over or twisting their ankles from wearing glamorous footwear.

A worrying trend is that women are getting cosmetic surgeries to fit into their Manolo Blahniks and Jimmy Choos. More than half of the 175 members of the American Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Society who responded to a recent survey by the group said that they had treated patients with problems resulting from cosmetic foot surgery.

The society will soon issue a statement condemning the procedures, said Rich Cantrall, its executive director.

Celebrities routinely undergo such surgeries as they more than anyone develop foot problems and ugly bunions and toes due to constant wearing of high Heels. Victoria Beckham was recently in the news for such a surgery.

High heels have been in fashion as far back as 1000 BC. They were a social status symbol. Women in the 16th and 17th century took it to great heights and teetered around in 5-8 inches high shoes. They had attendants to help them move and sometimes carried stylish canes to support them. It is only in the 20th century that demand for comfortable, fashionable shoes came from liberated women. Whatever the evidence to the contrary, it is still very difficult to separate women from their high-heels as history relates.

Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

One for the ladies ! Empty Re: One for the ladies !

Post  Shona Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Give me a pair of flats or trainers anyday.. i have tried high heels on a night out and ending up putting my shoes away in the cloakrooms with my jacket, preferring to go barefoot lol
Shona
Shona

https://www.facebook.com/shona.lawrence

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Yeah me too...and 5 inch heels make my achilles tendons hurt like hell after a while Wink
Nick
Nick
Admin

http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum