Diabetes Chat

Swine Flu Jab

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swine Flu Jab

Post  Imogen on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:39 pm

Have you had it? Do you want it? Should I have it?

There, don't have time to waffle today!!

Imz xx

Admin

View user profile http://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Swine Flu Jab

Post  Imogen on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:16 am

Well had it done, yesterday, my arms hurts like mad, but I'm OK otherwise...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  beaniequeenie on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:11 pm

I still haven't been invited for mine. Neutral
beaniequeenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Not been invited yet : don't want it anyway: not going to have it anyway anyway Smile
Nick

Admin

View user profile http://www.southhamspodiatry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Have you phoned your doctors to see and why don't you want it nick?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi Imogen,

Mmm no I haven't phoned my GP and won't because my GP will quite openly say 'well it's your decision. If you want it you can have it' and will follow the NHS party line and I don't have a problem with that.

However I don't believe that the vaccine has been proven to work. I do believe that there are numerous side effects that can occur. I don't actually believe that we are in a pandemic state (why haven't we heard lots and lots of people being taken into hospital etc etc etc???

I hear numerous stories from patients who tell me confidently that they have had swine flu. When you talk to them though they have spent a couple of days in bed doing crosswords feeling pretty crappy...but 'flu.... nope I don't think so. I can remember having 'flu years ago and it knocked me off my perch for at least 2 weeks and felt like a baby for at least another week or so afterwards. I am sure that what a lot of people are getting are very bad colds/very mild dose of 'flu (if such a thing exists) and many others get a week or 2 off work.

I actually haven't had my basic flu jab yet this year due to pressure of work as I haven't had a chance to get in and have it. As that jab reflects what the southern hemisphere was getting last winter (i.e our summer) then there may well be some resistance to swine flu or whatever contained in that. Plus they keep saying that those that have experienced 'flu in the past are less susceptible to getting it now.

In truth who knows?

In truth I am not convinced that having another jab will save me from getting anything.... and it might well give me something that I don't want !!! Smile

Below is a link for a newspaper article on the jab from earlier on in the year. Google the jab and you'll find out lots more ~ some of it you can dismiss out of hand, other you can muse and make up your own mind.

I have a GP friend who when I asked if he was going to have it laughed out loud and said 'Not Bloody likely'. Personally that sums it up for me. I'll leave everyone else to make up their own minds though as it is a personal decision.

Tae care
Nick
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/safety-questions-over-swine-flu-jab-1751547.html

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:12 pm

I should also have said that I am entitled to getting the jab as a Health Professional and also as a diabetic. As yet I don't know any other HP's who have taken up the offer.
Nick

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Just an update, really, I had the most awful chest infection type thing over Christmas after I'd had my flu jab.... I was really wiped out by it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Yes lots seem to have had side effects from it. I never got round to having either of them this year and can't say I really missed being jabbed at all Smile

Amazing isn't it? We were all warned that we would get it and very few did......
They said the winter would be about the same as usual...............

mmmm me thinks as usual the powers that be haven't a clue

Nick

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare on Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:57 pm

I didn't have either the "normal" or Swine Flu jabs, apart from one very minor chest infection (that I get every Christmas anyway) I've been fine.
Don't think I'll bother with the jabs again. My dad gets his every year ad is laid up with terrible flu for a week afterwards - but he keeps going back for more Rolling Eyes

Clare
Admin

View user profile http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Yes it's all kind of weird isn't it? The only one I will continue to have without doubt is the pneumonia jab, but as that lasts for 10 yrs... in theory I shouldn't have to have too many more !

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  keatingschick on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Here I am digging up another old thread lol,

I ummed and ahhed over my kids having the swine flu jab - just like when they were babies weighing up the pro's and cons. Both were offered it as my son has asthma and my daughter diabetic.

I was told it was up to us, and I am soooo glad they had it.

At the beginning of this year, both my husband and myself got ill, he started with a cold, but it floored him. He really isnt someone who is ill/takes time off/stops in bed, but it totally wiped him out. We were both pretty ill aching, whazzing headache, really weak and lethargic, no apetite etc, but I sort of levelled, I didnt get better but I didnt get worse and just had a really chronic chest. My husband nose-dived, he was diagnosed with swine flu OVER THE PHONE, but just went from bad to worse. I ended up calling the docs out and they admitted him because they werent happy with his "signs" - he ended up in intensive care for 10 days with swine flu and pneumonia - I nearly lost him. If I had waited another couple of hours before ringing I would have.

We were just so thankful the kids had their jabs and they'll all have them this year (including my hubby), just me that wont be offered it.

keatingschick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:09 am

Hi Keatingschick.

Sorry to hear about your husband getting it...and so glad he recovered!

I have to say I too ummed a bit over whether to have it or not as I didn't want a multi jab. However as so many people went down with it around here and as I was seeing some of them as clients I am very glad I did.

Seems mad that they won't offer you one especially as your the rest of the family are high risk cases. Perhaps a little word in your GP's ear and ask for it on those grounds. I am pretty sure they would give it to you as it has happened to a couple of my patients.

Best wishes
Nick

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  keatingschick on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:19 am

Nick wrote:Hi Keatingschick.

Sorry to hear about your husband getting it...and so glad he recovered!

I have to say I too ummed a bit over whether to have it or not as I didn't want a multi jab. However as so many people went down with it around here and as I was seeing some of them as clients I am very glad I did.

Seems mad that they won't offer you one especially as your the rest of the family are high risk cases. Perhaps a little word in your GP's ear and ask for it on those grounds. I am pretty sure they would give it to you as it has happened to a couple of my patients.

Best wishes
Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply.
To be honest I'm not sure if I'll be offered one. It happened at the beginning of this year, and our flu jabs are offered sort of September/October I think.

The kids have always had the flu jab with the diabetes/asthma, and my hubby used to have the flu jab because he had the bad flu quite a few years back and so was always offered it, though I am not sure whether he still has it (though I know this time he will).

I am pretty sure that I also had the swine flu, but it was the pneumonia that really really floored him, and I know that a couple of hours later me ringing the doctor might not have had the result we did, so thankfully I listened to my gut and begged them to come out to him when I did.

I never really thought of me, when the doctor diagnosed swine flu over the phone we just all breathed a sigh of relief that the kids had had theirs (especially my daughter as when she is ill, its hard enough dealing with a sick child, but to manage the blood sugar levels too is a scary scary thing), but when he was in intensive care I did have a real panic because I also had a bad chest at that point and was in bed at night feeling like I couldnt breath and that my chest was getting worse and starting to worry that who would look after the kids if I got worse like my hubby. I know it was panic and I went to see the doc who were wonderful with me, but I do think we are all going to be a little nervous around flu time this year, and I think if I get the option to have the flu jab I will.

Thanks,
Lorraine

keatingschick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum