Diabetes Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Diabetes Chat
Diabetes Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good recipe books?

5 posters

Go down

Good recipe books? Empty Good recipe books?

Post  Imogen Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:29 pm

Can anyone recommend any decent recipe books or is it better to take your fave recipes and just alter them to fit in with what we can eat?
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

https://diabeteschat.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Good recipe books? Empty Re: Good recipe books?

Post  landnurse Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:58 pm

As you guessed it is generally better to addapt what you would usually produce. Don't ever buy things like diabetic jam it is a rip off, and as for the chocolate affraid it is made from carrab and it tastes like cardboard!!

In this day of low....fat....salt ....sugar.....cholesterol.....red meat......animal fat etc any healthy diet books should suffice if you allow and adjust for the missing carbohydrates in their recipes, as a rule fructose (fruit sugar) is better digested than refined cane sugar.

Live well

Grant (Landnurse)

landnurse

Back to top Go down

Post  mumoftype1 Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:15 am

we buy weight watchers jam is that ok? and sainsburys do a sugar free chocolate that tastes quite good for a treat they do marshmallows as well and they are ok too!
mumoftype1
mumoftype1

Back to top Go down

Post  landnurse Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:28 am

Hi mumoftype1,
Yeah weight watchers should be okay, as you are no doubt aware you need to check the type and carbohydrate level on the product. For example if it says 75 carbs (of which 50 sugar) you can judge it isn't going to be that wonderful in the long run. But as a one off treat it is useable.
Coming at this from a different angle, food and it's consumption can become a big battle ground, being the only ellement of a young persons life they have control over. Having to say no to all manner of things that their friends are generally allowed is difficult. So allowing what you can elude to being a naughty treat is good way to approach things.
As a general rule don't buy products which don't break down what makes up the carbohydrates.

Live well

Landnurse

landnurse

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:03 pm

I've read you can have a teaspoon of jam or marmalade (the normal stuff) on toast in the morning, but considering my Dad and I had a discussion recently on how much the optimum amount of marmalade on a bit of toast was, and came to the conclusion that about half a jar (good, chunky, bitter, homemade stuff) is about right, I am guessing that that part of my life has passed Sad Sad Sad Oh well.... let it go. No
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca130 Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:31 am

I am a lifetimer (trying to get 52 pounds back off to get to my lifetime goal weight) of WW and didn't know they had a jam. Where did you find it, is there a grocery chain that you can share? I love most all of the WW products.
Rebecca130
Rebecca130

Back to top Go down

Post  Imogen Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:51 am

Since I wrote that, I have revised my thinking and now believe low-carb is the way to go... so I don't think I'll be having even a teaspoon of jam!
Imogen
Imogen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  caroline wilson Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:04 pm

I have a couple of Diabetes UK cook books which seem pretty sensible. My favorite cook book is a Good House Keeping Basic Cookery Book, the original one I had I inherited from my mother in law, and then I bought a more up to date version which gives measures in grams and pounds & ounces.

the thing I am looking for is a good basic diabetic vehetariancook book....

caroline wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down